Choosing Wisely Campaign
About the Choosing Wisely Campaign
Choosing Wisely® is a national initiative of the ABIM Foundation to help physicians and patients to engage in conversations about the appropriate use of medical tests and procedures, with the goal of promoting wise choices by clinicians in order to improve health outcomes, provide patient-centered care that avoids unnecessary and even harmful interventions, and reduce the rapidly-expanding costs of our nation's health care system.
As part of Choosing Wisely, the ABIM Foundation has joined with leading medical specialty societies - including the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology (ASNC) - to identify lists of "Five Things Physicians and Patients Should Question" that provide specific, evidence-based recommendations physicians and patients should discuss to help make wise decisions about the most appropriate care based on their individual situation. These lists are intended to stimulate discussion about the need - or lack thereof - for many frequently ordered tests or treatments.
ASNC has developed a list of five recommendations that should be discussed by cardiac imaging patients and physicians to help make wise decisions about the most appropriate care for each individual patient. View ASNC's list of recommendations. ASNC has also developed a helpful tip sheet for patients and providers on "Imaging Stress Tests: When You Need them for Your Heart, and When You Don't." View this tip sheet.
To learn more about the Choosing Wisely campaign, please go to www.ChoosingWisely.org.
CHOOSING WISELY FACT SHEETS:
- Choosing Wisely Campaign Overview
- ASNC Joins Choosing Wisely Campaign
- ASNC Fact Sheet: Five Things Physicians & Patients Should Question
- Fact Sheet: Cardiac Imaging Stress Tests
- Fact Sheet: Imaging Tests for Heart Disease
- Fact Sheet: Imaging Tests Before Heart Surgery
- Fact Sheet: Nuclear Stress Tests After Heart Procedures
- Fact Sheet: Stress Tests for Chest Pain
- Fact Sheet: EKGs and Exercise Stress Tests
- Fact Sheet: Echocardiography for Heart Valve Disease
- Fact Sheet: Guide to Common Tests & Treatments You Probably Don't Need
- ASNC & Massachusetts Medical Society Awarded Choosing Wisely Grant (March 25, 2013)
- ASNC Joins ABIM in Choosing Wisely Campaign (April 4, 2012)
- ASNC Joins National Choosing Wisely Campaign (December 14, 2011)
- ASNC Singled Out for Active Participation in Choosing Wisely Campaign
- Are Physicians Aware of Choosing Wisely Campaign and Recommendations? (ABIM Blog)
- Choosing Wisely: What Not to Do, From ACC and ASNC (Medscape)
- Choosing Wisely: Helping Physicians & Patients Make Smart Decisions About Care (JAMA)
- ASNC's Choosing Wisely Video Library
- ASNC Choosing Wisely Video #1 - Campaign Goals & Rationale
- ASNC Choosing Wisely Video #2 - Minimize Stress Test Radiation
- ASNC Choosing Wisely Video #3 - Talking to Patients About Stress Test Radiation
- ASNC Choosing Wisely Video #4 - No Stress Test Without Symptoms
- ASNC Choosing Wisely Video #5 - Nuclear Cardiac Testing for Asymptomatic Patients